THE RHINO ROUTE | 8 DAY CONSERVATION SAFARI, SOUTH AFRICA
Is this the safari for you?
Captured In Africa’s exclusive #RhinoRoute is an 8-day safari that takes you behind the scenes into efforts to save the rhino. Hear directly from rhino orphan carers and anti-poaching rangers, whilst absorbing Africa’s beautiful land, people & wildlife. A conservation safari like no other.
Highlights of this safari
✓ Fully guided with experienced local guide
✓ Benefit conservation and hear from conservationists
✓ Incredible wildlife viewing
✓ Tour iconic & historical sights of Johannesburg
✓ No fixed dates, simply enquire and we arrange everything around you
from R55,250 per person (6 Guests)
from R59,750 per person (4 Guests)
from R71,750 per person (2 Guests)
*per person sharing. Single supplement may apply.
Day 1: Morning arrival from your international flight, into the beating heart of South Africa, Johannesburg. You are met on arrival and transferred to your accommodation, where our group will meet with their guide. Enjoy your first afternoon with a guided visit to the Apartheid Museum and tour of Johannesburg. African Rock Hotel for 2 nights.
Day 2: Set off early on a day tour with your professional guide, including world famous sights, experiences and learning;
- Soweto, including Hector Peterson Memorial and Museum (part of the anti-Apartheid Soweto Uprising)
- Discover the “Origins of Man” at the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site
- Lunch and then afternoon sightseeing in Pretoria
Day 3: Wake up refreshed and ready for adventure. Travel this morning with your guide towards renowned rhino rescue & rehabilitation centre Care For Wild. Rhino View Country Lodge for 1 night.
Day 4: Morning visit to the Care For Wild sanctuary, learn about the facility’s work with rhinos, how they become to be orphaned and the team’s efforts in treating, caring and rewilding. You will also visit Captured In Africa Foundation partners Pit-Track K9 Anti-Poaching – the onsite K9 security protection, safeguarding these special animals.
In the afternoon transfer with your guide to Khaya Ndlovu Manor House for 2 nights.
Day 5: Head out after breakfast with your guide, for a day tour, including some of the following highlights;
- Blyde River Canyon and God’s Window
- Lisbon Waterfall (Highest waterfall in the area)
- Bourke’s Luck Potholes
- 3 Rondawels and Echo Caves
- Graskop Gorge Lift
End today with a fabulous evening Game Drive on Rietspruit Game Reserve and dinner at lodge.
Day 6: Start your day with a beautiful breakfast and then join us on an educational tour of Khaya Ndlovu’s ‘Poacher’s Garden’, followed by a short video clip which will explain the modus operandi of Rhino Revolution Orphanage. You will learn about the desperate plight of Africa’s rhino, which are being decimated at an alarming rate by poachers. You may be lucky enough to see some of the rehabilitated rhino calves wondering around the reserve whilst on game drive the previous evening.
Guests are then transferred with their guide to their final accommodation – awaiting you is an exclusive five-star luxury and big-five (lion, elephant, rhino, leopard and buffalo) experience in the world renowned Timbavati Private Game Reserve. Check in, relax and enjoy a fabulous welcome lunch, before your first afternoon guided game drive. Kings Camp for 2 nights.
Day 7: An early start with morning teas & coffees, before heading out on your morning game drive. Time to take in the African bush on safari and spot wildlife in their natural habitat. Return to the lodge for breakfast, then head out to visit Pit-Track anti-poaching Rangers & K9’s who are deployed in the area safeguarding wildlife.
Lunch is prepared for 1300hrs back at the lodge and relax around the lodge or your room. Your afternoon comes around again with late afternoon tea & coffee, meet your guide and head out on afternoon game drive – guests will also enjoy the infamous African “sundowner” drinks stop.
RHINO CHIPPING CONSERVATION EXPERIENCE
✓ Assist Vets to locate and dart the Rhino
✓ Assist with tasks such as pouring water over the Rhino and checking its temperature
✓ You will be included in the entire operation
✓ Opportunity to take up close and personal photographs with this magnificent endangered animal
✓ Give back to genuine rhino conservation efforts
We are fighting an ongoing battle and the darting of the rhinos (implanting micro-chips in the horn, ear notching and collecting data on the Rhino), is a part of ongoing efforts to build a national DNA database of all South Africa’s rhinos. It’s all about gathering enough information about each creature to potentially build watertight criminal cases against criminals, should these animals be targeted. Any horns recovered by police in future would then be analysed by forensic laboratories, and then matched against the growing national database.
This is not an income producing project for the Reserve, but a genuine conservation project where the Reserve endeavours to give back to nature by chipping as many Rhinos as possible.
R60,000 per group of guests.
*Rhino Notching strictly only available between 1 May – 31 August and must be booked a minimum of 2 months in advance of your safari.
Day 8: Your last morning in Africa but not before one last exciting game drive from Kings Camp. After those final photos & sightings and breakfast at lodge, your guide transfers you back to Johannesburg for your flight home.
Your full itinerary will be sent on booking confirmation.
Your safari includes
- African Rock Hotel: Accommodation in luxury suite, Dinner & Breakfast
- Rhino View Country Lodge: Accommodation with ensuite bathrooms. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Afternoon snack platter
- Khaya Ndlovu Manor House: Fully serviced accommodation in a Garden Suite. Breakfast and dinner daily. Complimentary hot beverages in suite. Complimentary Wifi
- Kings Camp: Luxury accommodation in suite with private plunge pool. Three meals daily. Tea & Coffee. Two game drives per day. Optional walking safaris. All beverages excluding premium brands, wines from our wine cellar and champagne
- Services of a professional guide for the duration of your itinerary
- Transportation in a fully serviced and insured vehicle throughout your itinerary
- All wildlife game reserve entry and conservation fees
- Entry fees into all scheduled tour highlights as noted in your itinerary
- Lunch on day 2 tour of Johannesburg
- Donation to Pit-Track K9 Conservation Unit
- Tree planting
Your safari excludes
- International airfare to the start of your itinerary and home
- Comprehensive travel and medical cover
- Gratuities and items of a personal nature, such as curio purchases
- Additional meals and drinks not noted as being included
- All accommodations are provided on a shared (twin room) basis, unless private rooms are requested (subject to availability). Single room supplement of 30-50% may apply
- Children aged from 6 and above are permitted on this itinerary. Children under 12 years pay 50% if they share a suite with 2 full paying guests; otherwise the full adult rate applies
- All accommodations and itinerary is subject to change dependant upon final confirmation and availability
- Rhino chipping experience is not included in your package price. This is a total cost, whether for 2, 4 or 6 guests in your group and will be added to your package price if you chose to participate
- All prices in South African Rand (Zar), subject to seasonal rate changes and availability
SAFARI FOR CHANGE
A donation of R5,000 per person to Pit-Track K9 Conservation, is included in your price. Your generous contribution goes directly towards Pit-Track’s continued development, presence and assistance in anti-poaching and security patrols in Africa.
Guests are welcome to also contribute towards Care For Wild sanctuary and their work, by visiting their online shop here
Kings Camp pays careful attention to our surrounding environment and strives for the camp to benefit the nearby community culturally, environmentally and economically. Your stay here helps benefit a multitude of worthy causes, including Environmental Education Centre in Polokwane Game Reserve, pumps and potable water to rural schools, Solar power to homes in disadvantaged rural areas, Abraham Kriel Orphanage, Counter Rhino Poaching Initiatives in Kruger Park & Timbavati Game Reserves.Your safari adheres to Captured In Africa’s Responsible Tourism Policy
Tree Planting: Included in your price, is the planting of x1 Macadamia tree per person, within the Lomshiyo Community
Book our #RhinoRoute for 2, 4 or 6 people, family or friends – on this humbling yet exciting itinerary.
Enquire with our team today;