8 DAY RWANDA SAFARI “LAND OF A THOUSAND HILLS”
IS THIS THE SAFARI FOR YOU?
Reconnecting with nature and ourselves has never been more important, as is a return to normal operations for both conservation and local communities. We can’t wait to share this inspiring country with our guests again, and deliver life-changing experiences to soothe the weary soul.
Two excellent destinations, founded on sustainable tourism and providing subtle luxury to ensure a restful, peaceful and yet absorbing experience in one of the world’s most beautiful countries. Remarkable Rwanda.
Both accommodations have just six rooms, making them ideal for physical distancing, while transfers with a private guide and vehicle, or helicopter (additional cost), will further reduce contact with others. Your accommodations will ensure that guests are taken care of every step of the way, in line with their own stringent health and cleanliness standards as well as those implemented by the Rwandan government.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS SAFARI
✓ Wide open natural spaces and fewer tourists (the perfect post-covid escape)
✓ Excellent standard of accommodation, food, service and guiding
✓ Sustainable, ethical tourism driven, supporting wildlife and local people
✓ Green sustainable energy use in camps
✓ Visit local communities and participate in conservation research
from US $9,995 per person, low season: 1 March – 31 May 2021 & 1 Nov – 15 Dec 2021
from US $13,345 per person high season: 1 June – 31 Oct 2021 & 16 Dec 2021 – 28 Feb 2022
Costs are per person, based on two people sharing and include x1 gorilla permit per person. Single supplements apply.
* 25% deposit secures your safari booking.
Day 1: Arrive into Kigali International Airport, where you are collected and transferred to your overnight hotel. Kigali Serena for 1 night.
Day 2: Enjoy a morning guided tour of Kigali, including a sobering visit to the Genocide Memorial. Following this you are transferred to Akagera National Park. Magashi Camp for 4 nights.
Day 3-5: Be guided each day on morning and evening game drives, night drives and walking experiences to see wildlife in one of Africa’s best up-and-coming parks.
Day 6: End your experience of Akagera National Park with a transfer to your next stop, Volcanoes National Park. Bisate Lodge for 3 nights.
Day 7: This morning you set off to the Volcanoes National Park office for a briefing, before setting of with your assigned guide and ranger to trek to view the mountain gorillas. Expect to walk between 3-8 hours, depending on the location of the gorillas.
Day 8: Opt to go on a second gorilla trek (additional permits required), or venture our on a golden monkey trek, or visit the nearby graves of Dian Fossey and the gorillas she reseached during her time here.
Day 9: It’s a warm goodbye as you say farewell to Rwanda, transfer back to Kigali International Airport for your onward flight home.
WHAT TO EXPECT | THE ACCOMMODATIONS
Magashi Camp is situated in the productive and phenomenally diverse north-eastern corner of Akagera National Park, overlooking beautiful Lake Rwanyakazinga. Akagera comprises some of the most scenic savannah in East Africa – open plains, woodlands, lakes, swamp, and grassy low mountains – and is home to one of Africa’s highest hippo densities, some very large crocodiles as well as the rare sitatunga and more than 520 bird species.
Teeming with plains game, Akagera now also boasts a healthy population of lion, which were reintroduced into the park in 2015 after a 20-year absence, as well as black rhino which were reintroduced in 2017. Magashi – the only exclusive-use area in Akagera – also harbours a good density of leopard.
Six spacious and airy tents offer uninterrupted views over Lake Rwanyakazinga, while Magashi’s main area comprises a luxurious lounge, dining and bar area, pool, and expansive viewing deck with a convivial fire pit. The architecture and interiors pay homage to traditional Rwandan culture.
Bisate Lodge, adjacent to Volcanoes National Park, combines the bucket-list gorilla trek with a pioneering vision of reforestation and community partnership. Bisate is located in the natural amphitheatre of an eroded volcanic cone, with dramatic views of the peaks of the Bisoke and Karisimbi volcanoes rearing up through Afro-alpine forests. Encountering one of the gorilla groups in the nearby Volcanoes National Park is a unique experience.
Six opulent en-suite Forest Villas maximise comfort and views while adhering to environmentally responsible principles and reflecting the rich culture of rural Rwanda. Bisate is within easy driving distance of the Park Headquarters, from where gorilla treks depart daily. Walks on Bisate’s property offer birding and participation in the reforestation programme.
Bisate is Rwanda’s first genuinely luxurious and eco-sensitive safari lodge, centred on Africa’s most immersive wild primate experience.
WHAT TO EXPECT | THE EXPERIENCE
At Magashi guests are encouraged to contribute to our leopard conservation project through their sighting records, and it is not uncommon to catch sight of one or more of the translocated Critically Endangered Eastern black rhinos now thriving in this protected area.
Hosted by Magashi’s knowledgeable specialist guides, activities include game drives, night drives, walking safaris and boat rides.
Each guest visiting Bisate makes a positive impact on the iconic Endangered mountain gorilla and is invited to participate in our phenomenally successful reforestation programme. Mealtimes celebrate ingredients sourced from local farmers and the community.
Activities here include gorilla trekking, hiking through magnificent cloud forest to Dian Fossey’s burial site, observing the rare and endemic golden monkey in the park, as well as walks and exceptional birding on Bisate’s property.
Lodge Activities On Site: guided birding and nature walks, guided nursery visit and indigenous tree planting, guided visit to the community beehive project that is support by the lodge, guided walks to the surrounding communities, self-guided running trail, “gym in a basket” at the villas, wine tasting, explanation from guide on biodiversity on the property, documentary film screenings.
Lodge Activities Off Site – Accessed By Walking: guided visits to Bisate reforestation site, guided visits to nursery school in the Bisate Village (the schools are closed over weekends and during school holidays), guided walks of the surrounding communities to meet with our neighbours
Included in your safari
- All accommodation rates are per person per night, unless otherwise specified
- All transfer/flight rates are per person, unless specified
- Voluntary contribution to Captured In Africa Foundation, thank you
- Magashi Camp: Accommodation, all meals, twice daily scheduled camp activities, park fees, conservation levies, all local drinks and laundry, transfer to/from the entrance gate of Akagera
National Park to the lodge and local Government taxes. In the event of a change in local taxes or the introduction of additional taxes, these rates will be adjusted accordingly
- Bisate Lodge: Accommodation, all meals, all local drinks, laundry, lodge activities as listed below, complimentary in-room welcome massage, wireless internet connection in villa only, local
Government taxes. In the event of a change in local taxes or the introduction of additional taxes, these rates will be adjusted accordingly
- One gorilla trek permit per person, additional permits US$1,500 per trek
- Tree planting (x1 per person), subject to availability
- All ground transportation between Kigali – Akagera National Park – Volcanoes National Park – Kigali
- Kigali City Tour
Excluded from your safari
- International flights to arrival/departure points
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Anything not listed as included at each accommodation such as premium drinks. Personal expenditure, curio shop purchases, phone calls. Gratuities for guides / drivers / hotel staff etc.
- Visas for each country and any other entry fees at borders
- Additional Gorilla permits: US$1,500 per person per trek (payable in advance to secure park permits)
- Golden Monkey trek permits
- Additional activities not mentioned as being included, a full list of activities available will be provided upon quotation
- Booking terms and conditions apply
- All prices are in US Dollars, correct at time of quotation and subject to change
- 25% non-refundable deposit due to confirm your booking, plus gorilla permit cost to secure your permits. Full balance due 65 days prior to travelling
- Bank transfers are free of charge with Captured In Africa, however you bank provider may charge a sending fee and exchange rate
- Credit/Debit Card Payment Fee of 3.5-4.5% is not included in your quotation and will be added to your final invoice
- LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE Baggage restriction of 15kgs per person (no more) is applicable on all flights in small, soft-sided bags. This includes hand luggage. Extra luggage will incur a charge of $3 per kg, per sector, to be paid directly to the airline upon check-in
- Gorilla and Chimpanzee tracking is subject to availability of permits at time of booking
- Gorilla trekking minimum age is 15 years.
- Captured In Africa Foundation contribution is voluntary. Learn more about our work for wildlife on our website – www.capturedinafricafoundation.com
Secure your safari today with just 25% deposit, contact our team;
Thank you for travelling ethically with Captured In Africa.