12 DAY BOTSWANA TRAVELLER SAFARI
IS THIS THE SAFARI FOR YOU?
This is Botswana in all her splendour, from captivating sunsets and tranquillity, to some of Africa’s best wildlife viewing. This is a safari for those wanting to get the most out of one country, to visit local communities that you benefit with your sustainable visit, to go on game drives in less touristy areas, offering an extraordinary escape into the wilderness… a true travellers’ dream.
Bookings now being taken for all 2021 safaris.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS SAFARI
✓ Remote, untouched and vast wilderness ideal to avoid the crowds
✓ Sustainable tourism, including visits to local communities
✓ Expert guides
✓ Exceptional wildlife viewing
✓ Varied land & water based experiences
COST per person
from US $7,709 Green Season: 10 January – 31 March
from US $9,379 Shoulder Season: 1 April – 31 May, 1 November – 19 December
from US $11,734 High Season: 1 June – 30 June, 1 September – 31 October, 20 December – 9 January 2022
from US $12,889 Peak Season: 1 July – 31 August
Costs are per person, based on two people sharing
* 25% deposit secures your safari booking.
Long stay special: Receive 20% discount off accommodation rates for stays between 1 October 2020 – 31 March 2021 and 1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022. Discount does not apply to transfers, flights and/or third party services. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Full details and rates will be provided upon quotation.
QUICK ITINERARY & EXPERIENCE
Day 1: Arrive into Maun, Botswana for the start of your safari of a lifetime – overnight accommodations (for the previous night) are available in Johannesburg if required, along with guided day tours to discover Johannesburg, Soweto and the Apartheid Museum. 3 nights at Meno a Kwena.
At just 90 minutes by road from Maun, Meno is a good option if you’re travelling as a group, or with little ones (or even big ones!). The camp was originally used by Southern Africa’s legendary explorers, and although we’ve added a few little touches here, and some little quirks there, it’s refreshingly and stylishly simple. And actually, the real treat at Meno is the connection with nature; when an elephant provides your alarm call in the morning, and you can game view straight from your private veranda, nothing else really matters.
Day 2/3: The safari never stops at Meno a Kwena, a hidden gem of a camp perched on a rocky clifftop above the Boteti River in Botswana. With a glittering roster of activities, including day trips to the Makgadikgadi Pans, guided walks with the San bushmen, and wildlife-watching boat trips, there’s plenty to get your teeth into. But sometimes, the best game viewing is where you least expect it, and at Meno, it’s right in front you. From their lofty position, the ten tents look down on a menagerie of animals at the water below, from herds of majestic elephant, to dazzles of nomadic zebra – all you need to do is sit back, and take it all in.
Day 4: Transfer back to Maun by road in time to check in for your local flight from Maun to the infamous wildlife haven of Khwai Private Reserve. 3 nights at Sable Alley Safari Camp.
Not only is Khwai Private Reserve one of Botswana’s best kept secrets, it’s also home to the lovely Sable Alley. Opened in 2017, Sable is a piece of light, bright and beautiful luxury amid the game-rich floodplains of Khwai, and the best news is that it’s as sustainable as it is sophisticated. The camp has partnered with the local communities in Khwai, and proceeds from staying at Sable Alley go straight back into the Khwai Village community projects.
Day 5/6: Located right on the banks of a lily-covered lagoon, home to harrumphing hippo and a favourite drinking spot for elephant and buffalo, the big game quite literally comes to you at Sable. But as tempting as it is to stay in camp, venture out you should, for Khwai offers one of Africa’s greatest and most exclusive safari experiences. Have your binos at the ready for lion, leopard, wild dog, buffalo, elephant and hundreds of dainty antelope as you drive through the diverse landscapes.
Day 7: From your final morning at Sable Alley, you transfer to the airstrip for a short flight to your next mesmerising safari in the Okavango Delta. 3 nights at Mapula Lodge
In the middle of it all, on a large tree island surrounded by seasonal floodplains, is the laid back Mapula Lodge, this is a stylish safari outpost with serious panache. Even better, it’s one of only a handful of camps in the concession making for exhilarating game viewing in a blissfully uncrowded area.
Day8/9: April to October in the Delta are the dry, winter months. Confusingly, this means the water levels are at their highest and it’s the best time of year for water and mokoro safaris when you’ll be able to access remote areas and go where no elephant has gone before. Game viewing at this time of year is exceptional (it always is) and this combined with the pleasant, mid-20s temperatures and sunshine-filled skies, makes it a great time to experience the Delta.
October to March are the green season months. Rain comes in the form of short, sharp thunderstorms and the dramatic skies make for even more dramatic sunsets. Water levels are slightly lower at this time of year, but there is always permanent water around Mapula Lodge and mokoro and boat safaris are still possible. It’s also the best time of year to spot breeding animals and the migrant birds.
Game drive through vast tracts of pristine wilderness in search of lion, leopard, cheetah, elephant, hippo and the rare sitatunga antelope. View the wildlife at eye level on a boat or traditional mokoro safari through the lily-filled channels (NB water activities are subject to water levels in the Delta and may be limited in low water season from October to January).
Day 10: Enjoy a scenic flight over Botswana, as you fly to Kasane Airport. Upon arrival you are then transferred to your final magical experience, gently cruising the Chobe River. 2 nights on Zambezi Queen Safari Boat.
Moving along the banks of the great Chobe River, Zambezi Queen is a 5-star, 42-metre long luxury houseboat offering unparalleled sophistication in one of the most remote locations on the planet. Each of the 14 suites on Zambezi Queen features air-conditioning and your own private balcony, where you can enjoy unobstructed views of the Chobe River and African landscape beyond. Wake up to the sight of an elephant drinking from the river, or watch a fish eagle take flight – all from the comfort of your own luxurious bed.
The banks of the Chobe National Park boast one of the densest populations of elephant on the African continent – estimated at approximately 120 000. The Park is also home to a large number of buffalo, leopard and lion, along with a variety of antelope and abundant birdlife.
Day 11: Catch sight of huge herds of elephant as they swim across the water, as well as buffalo, lion, crocodile, lechwe, puku, giraffe, zebra, sable, kudu and the occasional leopard as they gather to quench their thirst at watering holes. Besides animal life, you’ll also see a huge variety of birdlife and plant life as you listen to the sounds of a hippo grunting and breathe in the sweet smell of African grass. The Chobe is known as a photographer’s paradise and for good reason. The soft early morning light and the sunsets at dusk, combined with striking animal behaviour, make for dramatic and unusual photo opportunities.
Enjoy the ultimate in game viewing safari decadence as you sip on a drink and cruise along the river in one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet.
Day 12: Today you are transferred back to Kasane in time for your scheduled flight home. Our team will quote for flights to Johannesburg and any additional services.
*Your itinerary starts in Maun and ends in Kasane. Captured In Africa are happy to quote and include flights via Johannesburg to Maun and Kasane to Johannesburg
**This itinerary may be booked for any date and be amended to suit your ideal travel plans
Included in your safari
- All accommodation rates are per person per night, unless otherwise specified
- All transfer/flight rates are per person, unless specified
- Voluntary contribution to Captured In Africa Foundation, thank you
- Luxury accommodation as per your itinerary at Meno a Kwena, Sable Alley, Mapula Lodge
- Zambezi Queen – Accommodation, all meals, soft drinks, mineral water, coffee, tea and local beer & wine. Guided water-based game viewing and birding. Guided cultural tour of a local village.
- All meals & beverages
- Guest laundry (except Zambezi Queen)
- Daily activities and expert guiding at Meno a Kwena, Sable Alley, Mapula Lodge.
- Park entry fees & VAT
- All transfers and local flights. Road transfer Maun-Meno a Kwena. Flights Maun-Sable Alley, Sable Alley-Mapula, Mapula-Kasane. Road transfers to and from Kasane International Airport t- Zambezi Queen
- Included in your price is a conservation contribution, collected by the camps on behalf of a Not for Profit Conservation Trust
Excluded from your safari
- International flights to arrival/departure points
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Anything not listed as included at each accommodation such as premium drinks. Personal expenditure, curio shop purchases, phone calls. Gratuities for guides / drivers / hotel staff etc.
- Visas for each country and any other entry fees at borders
- Additional activities not mentioned as being included, a full list of activities available will be provided upon quotation
- Children 6 – 18 years only, are charged 50% of the adult rate per night (sharing with adults)
- Booking terms and conditions apply
- All prices are in US Dollars, correct at time of quotation and subject to change
- 25% non-refundable deposit due to confirm your booking, plus gorilla permit cost to secure your permits. Full balance due 65 days prior to travelling
- Bank transfers are free of charge with Captured In Africa, however you bank provider may charge a sending fee and exchange rate
- Credit/Debit Card Payment Fee of 3.5-4.5% is not included in your quotation and will be added to your final invoice
- LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE Baggage restriction of 15kgs per person (no more) is applicable on all flights in small, soft-sided bags. This includes hand luggage. Extra luggage will incur a charge of $3 per kg, per sector, to be paid directly to the airline upon check-in
- Single Supplement: 11 Jan – 30 Apr and 1 Nov – 20 Dec: A single supplement of 50% is only charged from the third single room per booking. 1 May – 31 Oct and 21 Dec – 10 Jan ’22: A single supplement of 50% applies to all single rooms.
- Child policy: 0 – 2 years, 3 – 5 years, sharing with 1 or 2 adults sharing with 1 or 2 adults, free of charge. – 16 years, sharing with 1 or 2 adults, 50% adult rate.
- Captured In Africa Foundation contribution is voluntary. Learn more about our work for wildlife on our website – www.capturedinafricafoundation.com
HOW TO BOOK
Speak to us today and you’ll be on your way to a ‘once in a lifetime’ adventure.
Thank you for travelling ethically with Captured In Africa